"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Horta Portugal tour

Stop on our Horta tour
We only did one organized tour while on our Transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona. It was a stop at Horta, Portugal. We were disappointed enough that we canceled the rest of our tours. I love ship shore excursions. I love the experience of getting on the bus, sitting near the front whenever possible, half tuning out the droning voice of the guide and just taking in the sights, sounds and smells. My husband hates bus tours. So we did the rest of the stops on our own. 


Horta stop

I have to admit Horta was not what I expected It is green. It is full of cows, and lots of whales come in during parts of the year. It is also windy, rainy and downright cold. We froze from the cold wind and rains when we were there end of April.




One stop was kind of cool. It was a park-like place. Not quite sure what it was. I spent most of the time on the bus, as it was just too cold to get out. But the buildings looked super old. Does anybody know where this is?


Our niece with a lady she met on our tour of Horta
Note the coat our niece was wearing. I had only a jacket and was freezing!



No comments:

Post a Comment