"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Impressions of Amalfi Part I

Map of Amalfi done in tiles as we entered the town
There are only a few places in the world that stand out to me as the best places I've visited. Santorini at Greece and Eze at France are two of those places. I have now found a third - Amalfi, Italy.

Town square of Amalfi



I love Italy. What's not to love, really? There are tons of small towns, beach views, mountains, friendly and fiery people, architecture, art and wonderful food. If I had to pick one country as my favorite, it would have to be Italy. So it was no surprise to me that I would find another favorite place while on my visit along the Amalfi Coast. This trip, I did a shore excursion that went to Sorrento, Salerno and then we picked up a boat to see the Amalfi Coast from the water to Amalfi and back. 

Amalfi Coast view


Moises and I had visited Sorrento and Salerno ten years ago and loved them both, but Amalfi stood out as a place I would love to return to. It is small and oozes charm. It was hot and crowded and had a to die for Cathedral. I took so many photos on the tour that day that both my camera and my phone ran out of battery. Pity too as I was just getting to the best parts of the old Cathedral underground, but then again, that only means I want to go back.


Great people watching in Amalfi

Statue at Amalfi by the Cathedral

Cathedral steps at Amalfi

1 comment: