"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Gondolas, Kids and a Barking Dog

Gondola service at Venice
On my walk around Venice, I came across the Gondola Stand shown above. I walked out on the pier and admired the three guys preparing their gondolas for the day. They were all dressed so nicely and were briskly shining their boats, and in a split second, one of them fell in the water. In Spanish, I yelled out as I saw him pull his drenched phone from his pocket - "apaga el telefono" or turn off the phone. I had just read about how to save a cell phone that had gotten wet on the internet and that is the first step. Normally people in Venice can understand Spanish as their dialect of Italian is so close to Spanish, but I assume he didn't understand. Granted he was really upset for falling in. His friends were laughing and the water is questionable. One could get a horrible eye infection minimum from the water. He made a rude gesture to me and basically told me to you know what. I really was only trying to help, so that is why I don't have any photo of the gondoliers. At that point, I was afraid to take their photo.


School children crossing a bridge at Venice


I kept walking across the bridge and admired a group of school children. They were like any group of school children, running and loud, but they all stopped to admire the view from the bridge.



Venice school children admiring the view
After we crossed the bridge, I came across the funniest little dog. He barked at each and every person that came by. I wondered how many years he had been doing that, as it appeared that he belonged to the owner of the little stand near by.


Barking dog at Venice



2 comments:

  1. The gondolier story is priceless. One of those memories you will not forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a photo of the same dog at the same stand, either one or two years later as well.

    ReplyDelete