"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Amalfi Cathedral Wall Paintings

St. Andrews Cathedral at Amalfi, Italy
One of my favorite spots on my recent cruise was the town of Amalfi, Italy. I did a ship tour that went to Sorrento, then Salerno where we boarded a boat to Amalfi and back. It was the first time I got to see the Amalfi Coast from the water. I do have to say that the view is more impressive from the road, but it was still amazingly beautiful. The sun warmed us as we made our way out of Salerno, passing Vietri sul Mare and the hotel Moises and I stayed at in 2003. Nice memories, but the most impressive memory from the tour was the town of Amalfi.

The Cathedral at Amalfi is a combination of the old Cathedral and the newer one shown here. 
Bell tower at St. Andrew's Cathedral 


I paid the extra fee, maybe 6 euros, to visit the ruins of the old Cathedral. The wall paintings are exquisite. 


Wall painting Amalfi Cathedral

The wall paintings are from the 9th or 12th century. I have not been able to confirm which they are. But I noticed something interesting. The one above has the face showing, but most of them had the faces cut out. I would love to know why. If any reader has any information on this, please let me know.


Typical wall painting with face cut out at Amalfi Cathedral


Two faces cut out and one showing
The day had gotten very hot and there were throngs of people milling around the small town, but the Old Cathedral was quiet with very few people and unbelievably cool. There was areas I would have loved to photograph, but by then I was out of battery on my camera and my phone. Boo hoo.

More information on this Cathedral can be found on Wikipedia here.

1 comment: