"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Split About Split (Croatia)

Diocletian Palace street at Split from Wikipedia
It's about time I finally got down to checking out the areas of my cruise next month. I already signed up for excursions, and honestly I am really glad I did, as most of them are already closed out. It will probably be a big free-for-all on the Norwegian Jade the first day trying to sort out everybody's shore excursions. 

One place I was really happy to get away from and see some medieval towns was Split, Croatia. Little did I realize the town itself has so much to offer. The Diocletian Palace, built at the turn of the 4th century by Roman Emporer Diocletian, looks spectacular. I found some photos on Wikipedia today that blew me away. Gargoyles would sure be comfortable here!

So I got out my cruise docs, checked the time of my tour and lo and behold, we get back to Split early enough, I should be able to do a private trip to see the Palace. Those are usually the best parts of my days. Traveling solo can make visits to places by myself a little daunting, but by going with a group in the morning, I usually befriend some kind soul who is willing to trek around the town with me in the afternoon. That is my hope.


Spinx in Split from Wikipedia
There is an underground area of the Diocletian Palace that looks like it has great shopping as well.


Underground the Diocletian Palace from Wikipedia


More information on this magnificent Palace can be found on Wikipedia here.

Hopefully I will get to see Ancient Salona, Medieval Trogir and the Diocletian Palace at Split all in one day. Gargoyles, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. You are most welcome Vijay Kumar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diocletian's Palace is actually around and under the whole downtown. Mixed review. Very crowded and not all of it so nice. I preferred Salona and Trogir.

    ReplyDelete