"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Rome: Always Something New

Rome streets
Rome is a place I can't get out of my head. I have traveled to Rome more times than any other European city other than Barcelona. I love Rome. I love the people. I love the history, architecture and food. I hate the traffic, the crowds and the changes that I have seen in the last 30 years.


Ceiling of St. Paul's Basilica at Rome

Then I come across a Church I have not been to before and once again, I am in love with Rome. This time it was St. Paul's Basilica. I decided to take a bus tour through Rome after my cruise, on my way to the airport. I had never taken an organized tour of the city. While in Rome, I've taken tours to Pompeii or the Amalfi Coast, but I always visited Rome by just walking around. I learned so many new things and even taught our tour guide, a lovely young woman, a thing or two. 


Another ceiling at St. Paul's Basilica


There were tour groups arriving from all over the world. It was interesting to see the different ways and attitudes of each culture. 

Exterior doors of St. Paul's Basilica at Rome



No comments:

Post a Comment