"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Passing Through Rapallo II

Hotel Stella at Rapallo
I couldn't resist snapping this photo of a dog standing outside the Hotel Stella at Rapallo. He just looked so cute, like either he was waiting for somebody or reading the sign. 


Rapallo is a small town not far from Portofino. As reported in "Passing Through Rapallo I," it doesn't have the charm of either Portofino or Santa Margherita Ligure, but it is a pleasant town chock full of lovely architectural details.


Window frame detail

Rapallo, Italy
It appears that there are some really wonderful things to see in Rapallo if you can actually get off the bus. I did some research for this blog post and am intrigued. For some great photos of Rapallo, click here. This area of Italy I believe is often overlooked, and I really loved it. The region is Liguria and it is just beautiful.


Nautical-themed curtains


Almost everything in this part of Italy revolves around the sea. You can see a nautical theme in almost everything, including the curtains shown above. I also love all the metal roll down protectors that they use against the afternoon sun. You can see them rolled up here.


Roman bridge


Italy is always fascinating, because no matter where you go ... there is a reminder of the past. Rapallo is no exception. There is a Roman bridge that we went under driving through town.


Next time I want to do more than pass through Rapallo. I want to stop and enjoy its sites.

1 comment: