"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Portofino and Santa Margherita

Portofino, Italy

My excitement level is rising as I anticipate my Western Med cruise at the end of April and beginning of May. I cannot wait to see Portofino and Santa Margherita Ligure. I haven't decided yet whether I will take a ship's tour that includes a boat ride to the Abbey at San Fruttuoso and Camogli, or wander down the road from Santa Margherita to Portofino on foot with a small group of friends (I plan to make.) Both ideas have their pluses and minuses. Sometimes it can be exhilarating to take off not quite knowing where you are going or when you will get back. On the other hand, there are just so many must see things I need to pack in a few hours. Guess I will figure it out there.


Walking route from Santa Margherita to Portofino


Portofino 

2 comments:

  1. Take the tour. The road can be dangerous with many hairpin turns and fast cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually never saw the road. We took a boat tour from Santa Margherita Ligure to Portofino. Unbelievably beautiful! We had a change of itinerary and actually tendered in La Spezia, but I took the tour of Santa Margherita and Portofino. Highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete