"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Catherine's Palace near Saint Petersburg, Russia





Saint Catherine's Palace in Pushkin, outside of Saint Petersburg, Russia is chock full of architectural details. Even though most are not to my liking, there was some rooms that I did like. This one was a very different style, without the gold and glitz. 


I liked the muted colors on the wall and the reliefs. The table was set, I assume, in the style from many years back when the Palace was in use.






A ceiling design I also liked is below. The design is with more muted colors and less gold than the other rooms.








There was a separate building that we toured that I liked even better than the main Palace. It was more French styled and subtle. The ceiling below was from this area. 








But my favorite photo of all is the lady who guarded this annex area on the Palace. I found her so interesting, especially her checkered blouse!



3 comments: