"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Gibraltar: Barbary Ape Contest

On my cruise from Barcelona to Dover, our first stop was Gibraltar. As I mentioned earlier, I fell in love with the Barbary apes. I was amazed how different each one looks. They have a plaque with their names on it, and information on the corporation that supplies all the food for them. 

Which Barbary ape do you like the most? I have my favorite and will reveal at the end of the post.

Barbary Ape A

Barbary Ape B

Barbary Ape C

Barbary Ape D - notice he is mimicking her hand movements

Barbary Ape E



My favorite .... another shot of Barbary Ape A

My vote is for this one .... Barbary ape A


4 comments:

  1. My favorite is C. Aren't they really monkeys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Heather. From wikipedia:
    The Barbary Macaque (play /məˈkɑːk/; Macaca sylvanus), or Common macaque, is a macaque with no tail. Found in the Atlas Mountains of Algeria and Morocco with a small population, of unknown origin, in Gibraltar, the Barbary Macaque is one of the best-known Old World monkey species.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't decide--they're all so special!

    ReplyDelete