"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sweden's Summer Waterways: A Real Treat

On our Baltic cruise, we left Stockholm and traveled towards Helsinki. The waterways leaving Stockholm are incredibly beautiful, dotted with islands and clear blue waters.  I so wanted to jump off the cruise ship and stop and have a picnic or linger with my feet in the water.

Leaving Stockholm







Ferry at Yxlan, Sweden
Ferries are a popular mode of transport between these remote islands. At Yxlan, we saw a car ferry unloading. More information can be found about rental cottages near this remote island at:

http://www.stugbasen.com/en/cottages/rentals/sweden/stockholm/roslagen-yxlan-the-archipelago-stockholm-2901.htm 

The weather in late July was absolutely perfect, not humid but nice and warm. It really felt like a slice of Heaven. My husband, Moises, enjoyed taking photos off our balcony of the ship as we made our way to Helsinki.

Moises

Pleasure boat in waters from Stockholm to Helsinki

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing. What a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was amazing. I have to say Stockholm is nice but not really my cup of tea. It is a city and very congested. I preferred Drottningholm Palace and the waterways. The Swedish archipelago is awe-inspiring. I could imagine vacationing on one of these small islands. It would be so peaceful and spiritual.

    ReplyDelete