"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Dubrovnik Croatia: A Medieval Delight

The last few days I have been reminiscing about a Holland America cruise I went on with my niece called Roman Empire on the Holland America Noordam. We visited Croatia, some ports in Italy and Greece and Malta - from Rome to Rome. I remembered how beautiful the Adriatic Sea was in Dubrovnik, but I hadn't fully appreciated the old medieval buildings. Looking at the photographs again, I am struck by their beauty. This is definitely a gargoyle post!

 First for the gorgeous scenery ...




So lush and green


Sarah and me (on the right)



Dubrovnik and the Adriatic Sea

We took a bus tour through the countryside and the views were awe-inspiring. When we returned to the town, my niece and I took a stroll around and bought some paintings made by local artists and had lunch at an outdoor cafe. In all sincerity, I don't remember what I ate but I do remember the town. It is delightful!

Now on to the medieval streets and statuary:



Mix of old and new!


Beautiful courtyard
More information on Dubrovnik and Croatia can be found here

4 comments:

  1. Love the comment "All the meals are served with the suitable garnishing." Very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. But I give them an A+ for trying. I don't even know what language they speak and they do pretty well in English. Croatian??

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Church looks like it is leaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, Heather. I noticed that when I was there.

    ReplyDelete