"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Barcelona: Gargoyles Revisited

On my cruise from Barcelona to Dover, I spent two nights in Barcelona beforehand. I stayed once again at the Le Meridien, which is a fabulous hotel. As a SPG (Starwood preferred guest) member, I got bumped up to the concierge floor. Nice as I had free bottled water and fruit and access to US newspapers, a wonderful treat for me as I live in Mexico and rarely get to read the US news, except online. Information on this wonderful hotel can be found here. (It is at the corner of Las Ramblas and Pintor Fortuny, right in the thick of everything!)

On my second full day, I booked a manicure and pedicure at a great shop right off La Rambla at Canuda 22-24, information can be found here for the Raffel Pages beauty salon in Barcelona. One woman worked on my fingers while the other tackled my toes. The price was a bit more than the states but very fair for Barcelona. We chatted in Spanish and it was great fun. The shop is super nice and I was happy with the results as seen below!


Pedicure
Manicure
Flower market on La Rambla
After, I walked around Las Ramblas. (I never tire of this walk.) The bird market, food market and flower markets are lovely, and who can resist the giant monsters scaring all the tourists?

Live gargoyle flaps his giant wings when tourists come near .... great fun!

Another shot of the flower market


Most beautiful fruit in the world
The food market is so incredible that my sister-in-law actually thought the fruit was fake. She couldn't believe fruit could look this nice. Makes me hungry all over again just thinking of the walk through the market. I picked up some Asian food to go and brought it back to enjoy in my upgraded room!

Information on St. Joseph's (La Boqueria) Market: click here

No comments:

Post a Comment